Glycosorb® ABO

Glycosorb® ABO enables higher quality of life, saves lives in emergency surgeries and has positive health economic effects

Glycosorb® ABO is a medical device that enables organ transplants across the blood group barrier. Since the first transplant in 2001, the treatment method has shown to be effective, gentle and safe for the patient and is used for both adults and children. Glycosorb® ABO is used primarily for kidney transplants, but also for transplantations of stem cells, liver, heart and lungs. Since its inception, Glycosorb® ABO has been used in more than 6,000 transplants with excellent medical results, presented in over 60 articles in reputable medical journals.

By removing blood group antibodies with Glycosorb® ABO, it is possible to transplant regardless of blood group

Statistically, out of the suitable donors and recipients, 65 percent are blood group compatible, and the remaining 35 percent are blood group incompatible. This means that, potentially, kidney transplants from living related donors could increase by up to 50 percent if this possibility is exploited fully. Sweden and Germany have the longest experience of using Glycosorb® ABO and in these countries more than 20 percent of all kidney transplants from living donors are blood group incompatible.

Benefits using Glycosorb® ABO

• Specific

The main feature of Glycosorb® ABO is that it does not significantly affect other antibodies or blood proteins, making it a unique product on the clinical market.

• Safe treatment

Clinical experience with more than 6,000 transplants demonstrating safe patient treatment and excellent long-term results (10 years) of the transplants.

• Quality of life

With the help of Glycosorb® ABO, transplantation across the blood group barrier can be carried out, resulting in more patients being able to undergo transplants and waiting times being reduced. A transplantation results in higher life expectancy and increasing quality of life since dialysis treatment is avoided. Patients can often return to work and live a more or less normal life after the transplantation.

• Increase kidney transplants

An increasing number of kidney transplants from related living donors can be performed which shortens the waiting time for transplantation. It has also been shown that the shorter time the patient has been treated with dialysis before a transplant, the better outcome of the transplant. In general, kidney transplants from related living donors gives significantly better results than transplants from deceased donors.

• Better health economics

Transplanting a patient instead of continued dialysis treatment results in significant cost savings for healthcare systems. In Sweden, each successful kidney transplant is estimated to result in an average total saving of approximately 5 million Swedish Kronor over a 10-year period compared to dialysis. In Germany, one center reported savings of 27 million Swedish Kronor over 5 years from the start of using Glycosorb® ABO compared to patients continuing on dialysis. The more transplants being performed every year, the higher cost savings for the society. With a dialysis population that is currently estimated to more than 2 million worldwide and is estimated to increase beyond 5 million by 2030, there is great value in increasing the number of transplants.

• Liver, heart and lung transplants

The product has so far been used almost for kidney transplants from living donors. Transplants with Glycosorb® ABO with organs from deceased donors are still relatively few. The simultaneous treatment with a heart-lung machine and Glycosorb® ABO has the potential to increase use in heart and lung transplantation.

Scheelevägen 27 | SE-223 63 Lund, Sweden

Phone: +46 46 286 52 30  | Fax: +46 46-286 52 39
E-mail: info@glycorex.com

Org.nr: 556519-7372

© 2022 Glycorex Transplantation AB. Registered office in Lund, Sweden . All rights reserved.